I admit, I saw this mostly because the trailer, featuring the song Everything in It's Right Place by Radiohead, was well-crafted and intriguing. While the full-length isn't as taut as the trailer, it still holds up as entertaining - mainly by being more humorous than one would expect.
Most of the humor is generated by the egregious plot contrivances and coincidences that line the movie's story and connects the characters. But some is also generated in an empathetic way by Affleck's character, who has a high-functioning form of autism. The movie, rather than having him be a freak who must be "de-iced" and taught how to love, presents Affleck's autism as a strength and characters must instead bend to his nature, instead of trying to have him bend to theirs. As such, in the end, it's the rest of the world that ends up coming off as the awkward ones.
How Scores Are Chosen
- The base score is 3.0. Movies receive this score when they are perfectly servicable. I wasn't wowed, but I didn't leave the theatre feeling like I'd wasted my time.
- If a movie was servicable, but had one particular element that shone above the surrounding material (acting, story, scenery), it gets a 0.5 boost for a 3.5. Similarly, a 3.5 is given for a movie that had many things go right, but had one particular element that brought it down or if it didn't equal up to the sum of its parts.
- For movies with a myriad of issues (usually in the directing department), a score of 2.0 is awarded. It's sort-of watchable, but there's going to be some grumbling about it afterward. Again, it may get a 0.5 boost if there's an element that elevated itself.
- A 4.0 is a movie that had most things go right and is a joy to experience. An extra 0.5 may be awarded for particularly strong showings in some areas (acting, directing, story).
- A 5.0 is the cream of the crop. This is a movie that didn't give itself away in the trailer. It's a movie that had you engrossed and on the edge of your seat in suspense or lying back howling with laughter. It's a movie that surprised you, a movie that made you cry, a movie where everyone bought their A game. This is a Movie.
(5 = Superb)
|How to Be Single||2/5|
|10 Cloverfield Lane||5/5|
|Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice||2/5|
|Captain America: Civil War||4.5/5|
|Barbershop: The Next Cut||2.5/5|
|The Jungle Book||4/5|
|The Nice Guys||4/5|
|Me Before You||3.5/5|
|The Purge: Election Year||2/5|
|Star Trek: Beyond||3/5|
|Kubo and the Two Strings||3.5/5|
|The Magnificent Seven||3.5/5|
|Queen of Katwe||5/5|
|The Girl on the Train||3.5/5|